[Linux-exynos] Mainline u-boot and kernel serial console

Merlijn Wajer merlijn at wizzup.org
Wed Dec 31 13:05:56 CET 2014

Hi Marko,

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014, Marko Katić wrote:

> Greetings everybody,
> Has anyone tried running mainline u-boot on an XE303C12?
>
> I recently followed this page:
>
> http://www.de7ec7ed.com/2013/05/application-processor-ap-uart-samsung.html
>
> And now i got a five pin female header sticking out of my 3G slot giving me access to the ttyS3 and the EC serial.
>
> Now i would like to try to flash mainline u-boot. But i know that this is a bit risky, has anyone tried this before? What are my
> options if i flash it and it fails to start for some reason? Can we flash u-boot (SPI flash that is) via the EC console?
>
> As i said before, i've got ttyS3 output  from the 5250. But this will only output u-boot messages. I would like to see linux serial
> console output on ttyS3, has anyone tried this before? I suspect that dt files will need to be modified for this to work, correct?

I've forwarded the question to the IRC channel, and this was the reply:

     14:42 < sjoerd> You can run mainline u-boot from the kernel partiation
     14:42 < sjoerd> Rather then pushing it into the flash

HTH, at least with the u-boot question.

If I recall correctly it should be possible to get serial output from the linux
kernel. Did you pass the right parameters? Are you sure the kernel even boots
(so it can write to serial)?

Cheers,
Merlijn