[Linux-exynos] garbled message

Merlijn Wajer merlijn at wizzup.org
Fri Feb 20 22:22:12 CET 2015

Hi,

On 20/02/15 19:47, bruce m beach wrote:
>>> (^ that was the most unstructured and impatient irc posting I've seen... ;))
>
> The truth is I've never used Irc before and find it
> really scary. Sorry: I cut and pasted a number of lines
> and it seems half of them didn't transmit.

Alright, no worries. Typically cutting and pasting is not the best way;
but I hope that you'll find it less scary going forward. If not, there's
this list (but not everyone in the IRC channel reads it, afaik).

> I'll try it this way on the mailing list. Here's
> what I wrote:
>
> "hello Wizzup I noticed that on
>  http://linux-exynos.org/wiki/Samsung_Chromebook_XE303C12
>  the Support table you have  USB3=?. I don't know
>  whether it means whether the the higher speed usb3 is
>  unknown to work or whether it refers to whether the
>  port works at all, but as for whether the port working,
>  I can say yes since right now I've got a hub stuck in
>  it and connected to the hub I have my mouse and an
>  internet dongle connected to it.  Also I'm on the web
>  right now with the dongle. The Snow is my only machine
>  and ever since I got linux-next booted I have been
>  using that kernel exclusively. Lots of things arent't
>  working but tons and tons of things are working
>  great."

I'd like to give you a wiki account (sorry that you cannot register one
yourself, we had to disable that due to serious spam), and then you can
modify the page yourself. I also found out that it did work as a USB2
port, but I didn't have any USB3 devices to test it with.

Send a mail off list and I can create an account for you.

>>> <Wizzup> bmbeach: I don't know if you read the logs,
>>> but cool, happy that it works for you
>
> Thanks for the message. Yes I do read the logs every
> morning. Sound and wi-fi are not currently working for
> me

Sound is still in the works (but looks like it is getting some progress
in the last few days), and it looks like wifi was broken by something
trivial, so that should also work again in a bit.

> but I am not concerned at the moment since the major
> hurdle in a long chain of things was to get a decent
> kernel to boot. That being accomplished I now want to
> spend the next month or two on flashing the SPI chip.
> If that happens then I've accomplished my goal which is
> to remove every vestige of the ChromeOs and replace it
> with completely stock linux components.

There may be some people in IRC who have knowledge on how to flash the
chip -- but I don't know that too well personally. Perhaps coreboot is
also an option? (Or it that loaded by u-boot?)

Cheers,
Merlijn